Greenhill is an independent investment bank founded in 1996 by Robert F. Greenhill. The firm provides advice on mergers, acquisitions, restructurings, financings, and capital raisings to leading corporations, partnerships, institutions and governments across a number of industries.
Recent clients include Actavis, Alcoa, Energy Future Holdings, Fluor Corporation, Gannett, GlaxoSmithKline, London Stock Exchange Group, Safeway, Tesco, Teva, and the US Department of Treasury.
Greenhill was established in New York City in 1996 by Robert F. Greenhill, the former President of Morgan Stanley and former Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Smith Barney. He founded the first M&A group on Wall Street while at Morgan Stanley and became an early pioneer of the industry.
Greenhill has been featured in many prominent assignments since its founding including the $100 billion acquisition of ABN AMRO in 2007, the United States Department of Treasury’s divestiture of its $51 billion stake in AIG in 2012, and the $17 billion merger between Northwest Airlines and Delta Air Lines in 2008. The firm was also involved as an adviser to a highly influential group of former Morgan Stanley partners in their successful and controversial bid to have former Morgan Stanley CEO Philip J. Purcell step down in 2005.
Like a number of other independent investment banks, Greenhill has grown by recruiting a significant number of Managing Directors from major investment banks (as well as senior professionals from other institutions). The firm has also expanded globally, opening further offices in North America, Europe, Australasia, Asia and South America.
In May 2004, the firm completed an initial public offering of common stock onto the New York Stock Exchange.
In October 2013, the firm announced that it had opened an office in São Paulo in conjunction with hiring Daniel Wainstein, the former head of Goldman Sachs’ Brazilian investment banking business.
In 2014, Greenhill advised on the $25 billion acquisition of Forest Laboratories by Actavis and the $10 billion merger between Safeway and Albertsons. Both transactions were among the ten largest of the year globally.
In January 2015, Greenhill agreed to purchase Cogent Partners, a leading investment bank focused on secondary market advisory for private equity investments.
In July 2015, Greenhill advised Teva Pharmaceuticals on the $40.5 billion acquisition of Allergan plc’s Generics business in one of the largest transactions globally in 2015.
In 2017, Greenhill advised Tesco on the £3.7 billion acquisition of Booker, the UK’s largest food wholesale operator. Greenhill’s team was led by David Wyles, the bank’s president in London, and Charles Gournay, managing director, and the deal was confirmed in March 2018.
In 2017, Greenhill advised Ladbrokes Coral for a £4 billion takeover approach by GVC. Greenhill worked together with UBS in the same teams that advised on the merger between Ladbrokes and Gala Coral in 2016.
Notable current and former employees
- Robert F. Greenhill – Founder & Chairman Greenhill & Co
- Scott Bok – CEO of Greenhill & Co
- David Wyles – President of Greenhill & Co
- Lord Lupton – Former Chairman of Greenhill Europe, life peer
- William Perez – Former CEO of Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company
- Simon Borrows – CEO of 3i Group plc
- Brian Cassin – CEO of Experian plc
- James Stewart – CEO of MGM Growth Properties
- Sir Simon Mayall – Former British Lieutenant General
- Ben Loomes – Co-head, 3i Infrastructure
- Andrew Woeber – former Morgan Stanley managing director, Cravath lawyer and Stanford board member
- ^ Jump up to:ab http://www.greenhill.com/sites/default/files/greenhill-2016-q4-10k.pdf
- ^ Jump up to:ab “Recent Transactions”.
- ^Suzanne McGee, Chasing Goldman Sachs (Crown Business, 2010), p52
- ^“Recent Transactions”.
- ^“Blue Blood and Mutiny”.
- ^“Global Offices”.
- ^“Greenhill & Co. files to go public in $86 million deal – Market News – Shares & Markets – Telegraph”.
- ^Greenhill & Co., Inc. (1 October 2013). “Greenhill to Expand to Brazil with Opening of Sao Paulo Office; Daniel Wainstein to Lead”.
- ^Sonali Basak (10 February 2015). “Greenhill Climbs on Deal to Buy Cogent in Pension-Advisory Push”. Bloomberg.com.
- ^Chitra Somayaji; David Wainer (27 July 2015). “Teva Snaps Up Allergan’s Generics Arm, Dumping Mylan”. Bloomberg.com.
- ^ Jump up to:ab Turvill, William (2017-01-27). “These are the bankers and advisers working on the £3.7bn Tesco-Booker deal”. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- ^ Jump up to:ab Agency, Reuters News (2018-03-05). “Tesco completes £4bn takeover of Booker”. The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- ^ Jump up to:ab Burke, Tim. “Ladbrokes calls back Greenhill and UBS for GVC deal”. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
Ofer Abarbanel is a 25 year securities lending broker and expert who has advised many Israeli regulators, among them the Israel Tax Authority, with respect to stock loans, repurchase agreements and credit derivatives. Founder TBIL.co STATX Fund.