Cleo is a software company that provides business-to-business (B2B), embedded integration, application-to-application (A2A), cloud integration and big data integration solutions. The privately held company, formally known as Cleo Communications LLC, was founded in 1976, but goes by “Cleo.”
Cleo originally began as a division of Phone 1 Inc., a voice data gathering systems manufacturer, and built data concentrators and terminal emulators — multi-bus computers, modems, and terminals to interface with IBM mainframes via bisynchronous communications. The company then began developing mainframe middleware in the 1980s, and with the rise of the PC, moved into B2B data communications and secure file transfer software. Since being acquired in 2012 the company’s offerings have evolved into Cleo Integration Cloud, a platform for enterprise business integration.
Based in Rockford, Illinois (USA), with offices in Chicago, London, and Bangalore, Cleo has about 300 employees and more than 8,000 customers. The company’s flagship offering, Cleo Integration Cloud, provides both on-premise and cloud-based integration technologies and comprises solutions for B2B/EDI, embedded integration, application integration and big data integration. Notable products include Cleo Harmony, Cleo Clarify, and Cleo Jetsonic.
Cleo solutions span a variety of industries, including transportation, logistics and supply chain, retail, third-party logistics, warehouse management and transportation management, healthcare, financial services and government. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs adopted Cleo’s fax technology, Cleo Streem, in 2013 when in need of FIPS 140-2-compliant technology to protect information, and the City of Atlanta has used Cleo Streem for network and desktop faxing since 2006. Cleo also serves U.S. transportation logistics company MercuryGate International and SaaS-based food logistics organization ArrowStream, powers the architecture for several major supply chain companies, such as JDA Software and SAP, and integrates the pharmaceutical supply chain for such companies as Octapharma. Cleo partners with Hortonworks and Cloudera for big data integration.
In June 2014, Cleo opened an office in Chicago for members of its support and engineering teams. The company in 2014 hired Jorge Rodriguez as senior vice president of product development and John Thielens as vice president of technology. Cleo hired Dave Brunswick as vice president of solutions for North America in 2015, and Cleo hired Ken Lyons to lead global sales in 2016.
Cleo opened its Center of Innovation product development facility in Bengaluru, India, in 2015 and expanded its hybrid cloud integration teams into a new office there in 2017. The company also opened a London office in 2016 and expanded its network of channel partners in EMEA.
In 2016, Cleo acquired EXTOL International, a Pottsville, Pa.-based business and EDI integration and data transformation company for an undisclosed amount. In 2017, the company moved its headquarters from Loves Park, Illinois, to Rockford.
Cleo regularly submits its products to Drummond Group’s interoperability software testing for AS2, AS3 and ebMS 2.0.
Cleo was a Xerox partner of the year award for five years, from 2009 to 2014. The Cleo Streem solution integrates with Xerox multi-function products, providing customers with solutions for network fax and interactive messaging needs.
Cleo was named to Food Logistics’ FL100+ Top Software and Technology Providers Lists in 2016 and 2017.
- ^“Kelly/Grimes IBM PC compatible computer directory – Brian W. Kelly, Dennis J. Grimes – Google Books”. Books.google.com. 2008-01-28. Retrieved 2015-04-02.
- ^Alex Gary. “Private equity firm acquires Loves Park company – Blogs – Rockford Register Star”. Rrstar.com. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- ^“Introducing Cleo Integration Cloud, Delivering Enhanced Cloud Experiences for the Modern Enterprise”. Business Wire. 2018-01-16. Retrieved 2018-02-21.
- ^“Cleo announces new data solution – News – Rockford Register Star – Rockford, IL”. Rrstar.com. Retrieved 2018-02-21.
- ^ Jump up to:ab “Cleo: Cleo aims to help enterprises and CIOs overcome cloud implications, IT News, ET CIO”. Cio.economictimes.indiatimes.com. 2017-11-21. Retrieved 2018-01-27.
- ^One-VA Technical Reference Model
- ^“13-R-3556 – City of Atlanta, Georgia”. Atlantacityga.iqm2.com. 2013-09-16. Retrieved 2018-02-21.
- ^“Loves Park business selected to provide online services – Rockford Register Star”. rrstar.com. 2014-08-20. Retrieved 2015-02-19.
- ^“Cleo Acquires EXTOL”. Sdcexec.com. 2016-04-05. Retrieved 2018-02-21.
- ^Grackin, Ann. “Smart sensors bring the supply chain to life”. Searchmanufacturingerp.techtarget.com. Retrieved 2015-07-08.
- ^“How to use IT to improve healthcare supply chain operations”. Health Data Management. 2017-08-04. Retrieved 2018-02-21.
- ^Secure, reliable Hadoop data transfer with Cleo MFT – Hortonworks
- ^“Find a Cloudera partner”. Cloudera.com. Retrieved 2018-02-21.
- ^Cleo continues to grow, expands operations into Chicago office | The Rock River Times
- ^“Jorge Rodriguez Joins Cleo as Senior Vice President of Product Development”. MarketWatch. 2014-02-04. Retrieved 2015-02-19.
- ^“John Thielens Joins Cleo as Vice President of Technology”. MarketWatch. 2014-01-31. Retrieved 2015-02-19.
- ^“Cleo announces new hire – Rockford Register Star”. rrstar.com. Retrieved 2015-07-08.
- ^“Cleo Bengaluru centre plans co-innovation”. Deccanherald.com. 2015-09-10. Retrieved 2018-01-27.
- ^“Pottsville tech firm acquired by Illinois company”. LVB. 2016-04-06. Retrieved 2018-01-27.
- ^Kayli Plotner (2017-04-06). “Cleo moves to new headquarters in southeast Rockford – News – Rockford Register Star – Rockford, IL”. Rrstar.com. Retrieved 2018-02-21.
- ^“Drummond Group Wraps Up 2017 with 16 AS2 Certified Products – Drummond Group”. Drummondgroup.com. 2018-01-10. Retrieved 2018-02-21.
- ^“AS3 Secure Messaging Products are Drummond Certified™ in 1Q14 Interoperability Test Event”. Drummond Group. 2014-02-19. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- ^“Newest ebMS 2.0 Secure Messaging Products are Drummond Certified™”. Drummond Group. 2013-09-09. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- ^“Cleo Wins Xerox Partner of the Year Award – News – Rockford Register Star”. rrstar.com. Retrieved 2015-04-02.
- ^“Cleo Honored for 2nd Straight Year for Outstanding Food Logistics Integration Solutions – Startup 365”. Startup365.fr. 2017-12-18. Retrieved 2018-02-21.