The Mexican Association of Marketing Research and Public Opinion Agencies (Spanish: Asociación Mexicana de Agencias de Investigación de Mercado y Opinión Pública) (AMAI) is the agency responsible for maintaining the transparency and quality in market research in Mexico, setting the standards of quality and socioeconomic levels.
Founded in September 1992, AMAI is an independent organization of different Mexican companies doing market research, opinion and communication, whose purpose is to establish the quality standards as well as common standards in methods, techniques, terminology, analysis criteria, etc. that are related to market research inside Mexico.
It is a professional entity that brings together all the key Mexican industry players of research, who generate about three-quarters of the Mexican market.
Since its inception, AMAI established its own Code of Ethics and standardize the criteria for socio-economic levels in Mexico, which has led to greater transparency in the investigation and the possibility of comparing the results produced by different agencies. The first index of socio-economic levels occurred in 1994, becoming the standard criteria of classification used in the country. The current index is known as the “Rule 13×6” which classifies into 6 levels the households in Mexico.
In 1999 was a protocol called ESIMM (Standard of Service for the Market Research in Mexico) which set the substantive requirements of quality to be observed in any undertaking of research that is operating in Mexico. While originally adopted on a voluntary basis is now, a mandatory requirement to gain access to the Association.
In 2006 an agreement with ESOMAR (European Society for Opinion and Marketing Research) was made to offer online courses offered by the University of Georgia to 3 countries, in that same year, another webpage was launched as a medium hub of electoral survey results; by the end of 2009 the concept was expanded to include references on social surveys and general interest.
According to the newspaper La Jornada, the Federal Electoral Institute (IFE) announced a new legislation with which companies must comply in order to raise sample surveys as well as exit polls and/or quick counts during the election process that occur in Mexico, these changes take place after the electoral reform in 2008.
One of the main roles of AMAI is to ensure that all marketing companies in Mexico receive the certification as well as the ISO. For over 15 years this association, AMAI, publishes a quarterly magazine and teaches a course at ITAM University of Marketing Research.
From 1992 AMAI has had several presidents who held office for a period of two years, these are chosen by an assembly. The presidents since AMAI’s founding are:
Ruben Jara 1992–1994
Abraham Nadelsticher 1994–1996
Ana Cristina Covarrubias 1996–1998
Eduardo Berumen 1998–2000
Javier Alagón 2000–2002
Cesar Ortega de la Roquette 2002–2004
Manuel Barberena 2004–2006
Eduardo Ragasol 2006–2008
Ricardo Barrueta 2008–2010
Gabriela de la Riva 2010–2012
Luis Woldenberg Karakowsky 2012–2014
Heriberto López Romo  2014-2016
Óscar Balcázar Quintero  2016-2018
Until 2016 AMAI had about 55+ agencies affiliated and 6 more with a beginners status.
- ^ Jump up to:ab c Lane Weiss. “An interview with Manuel Barberena, president of Mexico City-based research firm Pearson, on the state of research in his country”. QUIRKS, Marketing Research Review. Retrieved 17 April 2010.
- ^AMAI “Asociación Mexicana de Agencias de Investigación de Mercado y Opinión Pública (AMAI)” retrieved January 2010
- ^López, Heriberto. “Instituto de Investigaciones Sociales”(PDF) (in Spanish). INEGI. Archived (PDF) from the original on 28 March 2010. Retrieved 17 April 2010.
- ^Villegas, Adrian (12 May 2002). The AMAI system of classifying households by socio-economic level. ESOMAR. p. 20. ISBN 92-831-1322-5. Archived from the original on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 17 April 2010.
- ^Domínguez, José. “Errores de Investigación 2° Parte” (in Spanish). Gestiopolis. Archived from the original on 7 April 2010. Retrieved 17 April 2010.
- ^Redacción “El IFE da a conocer nuevas reglas” (in Spanish) 18 January 2009
- ^“Investigación con PEARSONalidad” (PDF). SEGMENTO ITAM Excelencia en Mercadotecnia (#38–year 9). May–July 2007. Retrieved 1 March 2010.
- ^com.mx “Entrevista con Rubén Jara” Revista Telemundo, (in Spanish) April/May 2003 Num. 70
- ^BRAIN “Bumy lanza “Brain” Archived 8 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine”, Revista NEO, Vol. 1, Núm. 7, 15/X-14/XI, 1998
- ^Terra “La Opinión Pública Habla”, Revista NEO (in Spanish) May/2008
- ^BERUMEN “120 Años de Estadísticas en México… Un reto formidable Archived 9 July 2007 at the Wayback Machine”, (in Spanish) Octubre 2006
- ^ITAM 2 “Entrevista con… Javier Alagón, Presidente AMAI”, Revista SEGMENTO ITAM Excelencia en Mercadotécnia, (in Spanish) December 2002
- ^AMAI “Ponente en el XVI Congreso Anual AMAI 2009Archived 27 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine” (in Spanish) retrieved April 2010
- ^Revista Comunicologí@ “Entrevista con el Lic. César Ortega de la Roquette, Presidente de la AMAI Archived27 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine” Núm. 2, Fall 2004 (in Spanish)
- ^0 MercadotécniaPublicadMedios “Cambio de mesa directiva en la AMAI” September 2004 (in Spanish)
- ^EXPo ANTAD dosmil10 “El Consumidor Mexico ante América Latina: retos y oportunidades” (in Spanish) retrieved April 2010
- ^Industria de la Radio del Valle de México “Renueva AMAI su mesa directiva Archived 31 March 2009 at the Wayback Machine” October 2008 (in Spanish)
- ^AMAI “NOTICIAS Archived 26 December 2010 at the Wayback Machine”, (in Spanish) retrieved 10 October 2010
- ^MultiPress Daily Net “Nueva Presidenta de la AMAIArchived 23 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine”
- ^Twitter “NOTICIA”, Publicación de 3 October 2012
- ^AMAP Asociación Mexicana de Agencia de Publicidad “Reunión con AMAI Archived 2 April 2013 at the Wayback Machine”
- ^AMAP Asociación Mexicana de Agencia de Publicidad “AMAI tiene nuevo presidente: Heriberto López RomoArchived 23 September 2016 at the Wayback Machine”
- ^CiM Consejo de Investigación de Medios “Heriberto López Romo”
- ^Amai nombra a Balcázar presidente, reemplaza a López Romo “SEntido Común”